Virginia L. Ekelund
Virginia Ekelund is a litigator with over thirty years of successful advocacy for her clients in State and Federal courts throughout California. She is a graduate of U.C. Berkeley and received her law degree from Santa Clara University. She also recently obtained an LL.M. in Taxation from Golden Gate University, graduating with Honors.
In addition to her work as a California State Bar Certified Specialist in Family Law, Virginia also successfully represents clients in a variety of litigation matters including trust disputes and estate related matters, contract disputes, trade secrets, real estate, construction defect litigation, employment litigation, and personal injury matters.
Her diverse legal experience, which includes the representation of both plaintiffs and defendants, allows her to quickly identify legal issues and implement the strongest possible strategy to address them. She strongly supports resolution of cases through Alternative Dispute Resolution processes such as mediation in order to reduce the costs of litigation wherever possible.
Virginia grew up in the Bay Area where she and her family reside. Virginia is an advocate of good nutrition and living a balanced lifestyle which includes the practice of yoga.
When she isn’t working, Virginia enjoys vacations involving the beach, snorkeling, scuba diving, bike riding and hiking with her family as well as skiing in the Winter.
Articles Editor of Santa Clara Computer and High Technology Law Journal
American Jurisprudence Award in Criminal Law
Strauch v. Eyring – A petition to compel arbitration may not be denied on the ground of fraud alleged in an unverified pleading, but only upon evidentiary support by an affidavit or declaration under penalty of perjury submitted in opposition to the petition.
- Golden Gate University School of Law, San Francisco, California
- LL.M., Taxation
- Honors: With Honors
- Santa Clara University School of Law, Santa Clara, California
- University of California, Berkeley
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Family Law Specialist (CFLS), State Bar Board of Legal Specialization
- Contra Costa County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- ACFLS (Association of Certified Family Law Specialists)
- Strauch v. Eyring, 30 Cal.App.4th 181, 1994
- Williams v. Diablo, 2004 us.dist lexis 13790, 2004
- Litigation 50%
- Family Law 30%
- Trust and Estate Disputes 20%
- American Jurisprudence Award in Criminal Law
- Hawaii State Supreme Court, Intern