Photo of Professionals at Doyle Quane
Photo of Professionals at Doyle Quane
Premier Estate Planning & Family Law Attorneys in Danville, CA

Support Issues In Divorce

There are two types of support that may become relevant in a California divorce proceeding – spousal support and child support.

Spousal support, also known as alimony, is designed to help support a spouse who was previously dependent, while he or she adjusts to life during and/or after divorce.

If you have minor children, child support will also need to be addressed. The significant change in income and living expenses requires that you take a closer look at the resources available to care for your children.

Child Support

Every parent has a legal obligation to support their minor children.

If you have minor children, you will likely need to address the issue of child support during your divorce proceedings to address the change in income and expenses and alteration to your marital living arrangements.

California requires its courts to use a specific formula to determine child support. The factors include the income of each parent, the amount of time each parent will spend with the children, the disposable income available, health care expenses and more.

Spousal Support

Spousal support, also known as alimony, is money paid to a spouse to help support him or her financially.

Spousal support can be temporary (before the divorce is granted), or permanent (after the divorce is granted). In most cases, you will need to address both temporary and permanent support during the divorce process.

Some of the factors that will impact spousal support include how long the parties were married, the earning capacity of each party, the contribution of each party during the marriage, and the standard of living during the marriage. Your family law attorney will help you understand these factors and apply them to your particular case.

Consult With A Family Law Attorney

Doyle Quane’s family law attorneys have decades of experience helping clients navigate through the child and spousal support process. Call us at 925-317-1028 or complete our online form for a prompt response.